April 25, 2024, 07:34:15 AM

Ga Cheerleading Vent

Author Topic: I've made this rant before  (Read 40934 times)

Offline OnThisDayIseeClearly

• Reputation Power: 2
  • OnThisDayIseeClearly is new.
I've made this rant before
« on: November 01, 2013, 12:03:39 AM »
But I'm going to do it again.  November 9 is the state cross country finals, state one act play finals, and region cheerleading competitions for schools.  I think it's inexcusable to have that much stuff packed into one day.  It's grossly unfair to small schools.

Offline Cheerknowledge

• Global Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Cheerknowledge is new.
  • KNOWLEDGE is POWER
Re: I've made this rant before
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 10:20:05 AM »
That sure is a lot going on.  Hard for small schools to send fans.  Understandable.  Not sure what can be done because dates become limited and you really don't want to try and have these events in the middle of the week.  Travel and school reasons.
-This post is purely the opinion of Cheerknowledge and that of no one else and is not by any means influenced by any one person, team, or location.

A very simple solution
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 03:11:16 PM »
One I've said before but will say again.  Move cheerleading out from the fall.  I say it only got moved to kiss up to All Stars.  That's not a legitimate reason.  Get cheerleading out of the early fall and back toward late winter, problem solved.

Offline Cheerknowledge

• Global Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Cheerknowledge is new.
  • KNOWLEDGE is POWER
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 03:12:27 PM »
That's true as far as dates are concerned.  But I believe the battle will be All-Stars.  I'm not for or against but for many places, the sad truth, if left with the decision, they would pick all-stars.
-This post is purely the opinion of Cheerknowledge and that of no one else and is not by any means influenced by any one person, team, or location.

Offline cheerga94

• Reputation Power: 1
  • cheerga94 is new.
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 10:56:32 PM »
That's true as far as dates are concerned.  But I believe the battle will be All-Stars.  I'm not for or against but for many places, the sad truth, if left with the decision, they would pick all-stars.

You'd see a drop in talent in the atlanta area schools for sure, south wouldn't be a big problem.

Offline cheerga94

• cheerga94 is new.
Re: A very simple solution
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 10:58:30 PM »
One I've said before but will say again.  Move cheerleading out from the fall.  I say it only got moved to kiss up to All Stars.  That's not a legitimate reason.  Get cheerleading out of the early fall and back toward late winter, problem solved.

There will still be conflict issues no matter what season it is in.

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 01:32:59 AM »
There will still be conflict issues no matter what season it is in.

In winter, there's basketball.  No one act, no softball, no cross country.  This conflict didn't become so awful until they moved cheerleading to the fall.   Nevermind how many schools have tired squads on Saturdays because of cheering on Fridays.

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 01:34:17 AM »

Well, let them.  Like with any sport, competition cheerleading is representing the school.  If they don't want to because of all stars, let them go.  Just like if someone would rather play travel softball than for their school, so be it.

Offline cheerga94

• cheerga94 is new.
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 01:55:33 AM »

Well, let them.  Like with any sport, competition cheerleading is representing the school.  If they don't want to because of all stars, let them go.  Just like if someone would rather play travel softball than for their school, so be it.

But then there comes the Lay coach conflict. If it wasn't for some of these all star gyms being around, a lot of these schools would be a hot mess and injuries galore. Maybe if there were proper requirements for teachers being a cheerleading coach at school it wouldn't be an issue. All star cheer is too much involved with GHSA cheer and to take that away would take a HUGE chunk out of GHSA cheer. Columbus and Atlanta area where most of these dominating schools(with the few in middle and south) are and almost every school is involved with an allstar gym. As a matter of fact i am almost certain every school that has a competitive cheer team in columbus is involved with united cheerleading.

There are injuries now..
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2013, 06:59:13 PM »
But then there comes the Lay coach conflict. If it wasn't for some of these all star gyms being around, a lot of these schools would be a hot mess and injuries galore. Maybe if there were proper requirements for teachers being a cheerleading coach at school it wouldn't be an issue. All star cheer is too much involved with GHSA cheer and to take that away would take a HUGE chunk out of GHSA cheer. Columbus and Atlanta area where most of these dominating schools(with the few in middle and south) are and almost every school is involved with an allstar gym. As a matter of fact i am almost certain every school that has a competitive cheer team in columbus is involved with united cheerleading.
I've been around competition cheerleading for many years.  And I can tell you that I see more knees wrapped, ankles wrapped, and generally more injuries.  I see more squads struggling on Saturdays.  Because many of them are made up of tired girls who've had to cheer for football on Friday night.
You do raise a valid point about coaching requirements.  It'd be like a running club coach being involved with cross country or track.  A travel softball coach helping with the softball team.  Why is cheerleading different? 
Given how bad some regions are, squads don't need United Cheerleading to get to Columbus.  Decisions that affect the entire sport shouldn't be based upon certain areas. 

Offline cheerga94

• cheerga94 is new.
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 08:48:44 PM »
Cheerleading is becoming a more difficult sport. The bar raises each therefore more injuries are bound to happen. I would say high school being on hard mat is the prime reason of these injuries more than cheering a football game the day before.

Basic physiology.
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 05:50:52 PM »
Cheerleading is becoming a more difficult sport. The bar raises each therefore more injuries are bound to happen. I would say high school being on hard mat is the prime reason of these injuries more than cheering a football game the day before.
The body has more wear and tear.  Practicing for Friday nights and Saturday mornings.  Doing jumps and some standing tumbling on hard ground.  It's simple physiology.  Doing more in a shorter amount of time is going to lead to more wear and tear.  I say that the season being in the middle of football does add to injuries.

CCHEER

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 08:12:56 AM »
I can see both sides of the issue.  My question is why does cheerleading need to have the longest season? Having a season that starts when school gets out for camps and continues into Feb or March causes injuries as well.  I know several years ago this is how it was no less injuries and girls were also involved in football and basketball cheerleading.  I am not sure there is an easy solution to this but for the schools I know extending the season doesn't make sense. 

It wouldn't be "extended"
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 03:08:03 PM »
I can see both sides of the issue.  My question is why does cheerleading need to have the longest season? Having a season that starts when school gets out for camps and continues into Feb or March causes injuries as well.  I know several years ago this is how it was no less injuries and girls were also involved in football and basketball cheerleading.  I am not sure there is an easy solution to this but for the schools I know extending the season doesn't make sense. 
Competition season used to be from late November/December to February.  There was a break for Christmas.  And no, there weren't as many injuries.  Because the Christmas break provided rest time.  Also: cheering at a basketball game isn't as physically demanding as football.

CCHEER

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 08:40:35 AM »
Not real sure where you are from but there was not a time when the girls were "off".  I know that lots of schools practiced during the breaks and even though basketball may not be as demanding "physically" - having to cheer at 3 games during the week - which included Saturdays after competitions and then trying to fit in practices on the other days did lead to exhaustion for girls.  I am going off of what I experienced.  Injuries were greater during a time when the actual season lasted through football and basketball - exhaustion leads to many injuries.

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines