April 25, 2024, 09:04:41 AM

Ga Cheerleading Vent

Author Topic: I've made this rant before  (Read 40942 times)

Offline OnThisDayIseeClearly

• Reputation Power: 2
  • OnThisDayIseeClearly is new.
The season didn't last longer
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2013, 02:06:53 PM »
Not real sure where you are from but there was not a time when the girls were "off".  I know that lots of schools practiced during the breaks and even though basketball may not be as demanding "physically" - having to cheer at 3 games during the week - which included Saturdays after competitions and then trying to fit in practices on the other days did lead to exhaustion for girls.  I am going off of what I experienced.  Injuries were greater during a time when the actual season lasted through football and basketball - exhaustion leads to many injuries.
And I've been around the sport for nearly a decade.  There are more injuries now.   I see the increase in wrapped knees, ankles and arms.  I see the exhaustion from girls traveling two hours on buses on Friday for football then traveling another hour and a half on Saturdays for cheerleading.  I see the affect in the smaller classes where more often there are squads who don't execute as well because of football.
Standing in the bleachers chanting when you're not stunting, not tumbling, and can sit down, not to mention basketball being shorter, isn't as physically demanding as football.  I don't mean to be ugly but there is no way to compare football and basketball. 

CCHEER

Re: I've made this rant before
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2013, 07:13:17 AM »
I am comparing the time it takes weekly not what they do when they are there - I too have been around sports for quite a while both on and off the mat, field and court.  Time involved can cause exhaustion regardless of what you are doing and increased injuries are truly coming from the push for increased skills.  Since this is a place to post opinions I wanted many to know that there are quite a few people who do not want to change the season and it has nothing to do with All-stars.

I'd be willing to bet
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2013, 02:46:36 PM »
I am comparing the time it takes weekly not what they do when they are there - I too have been around sports for quite a while both on and off the mat, field and court.  Time involved can cause exhaustion regardless of what you are doing and increased injuries are truly coming from the push for increased skills.  Since this is a place to post opinions I wanted many to know that there are quite a few people who do not want to change the season and it has nothing to do with All-stars.
You're in the minority or don't grasp the strain on smaller schools.  You also apparently don't know the difference between being tired and using more muscles.  Because physically, it makes a difference. 

ngvfan96

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2013, 03:46:09 PM »
I think that the season should be longer. There are some schools that can't (or don't) start mandatory practices until about two months before competitions! Yes a longer season would mean more cheering at games, but that would also allow for more time to recuperate between competitions. I mean now most schools are going back-to-back-to-back weekends for competitions much less if there are games also. Why not make the season longer to actually have a weekend off (or at least a weekend off from having a game AND a competition). I think it would help not only the athletes, but also allow time to rework the routine (in case of injury or just to add new skills). I don't know. I'm just throwing that out there as my opinion. No matter what we say it's still up to the powers that be anyway.

You can also ask
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2013, 11:15:08 PM »
I think that the season should be longer. There are some schools that can't (or don't) start mandatory practices until about two months before competitions! Yes a longer season would mean more cheering at games, but that would also allow for more time to recuperate between competitions. I mean now most schools are going back-to-back-to-back weekends for competitions much less if there are games also. Why not make the season longer to actually have a weekend off (or at least a weekend off from having a game AND a competition). I think it would help not only the athletes, but also allow time to rework the routine (in case of injury or just to add new skills). I don't know. I'm just throwing that out there as my opinion. No matter what we say it's still up to the powers that be anyway.
Why should competition cheerleaders have to endure what they do right now?  Long bus rides to football games on Friday, then another long ride Saturday to a competition.  I've attended two competitions this year where almost every squad in a division would drop at least one person.  That used to not happen. 
There's no logical reason why things have to be so rushed.  Why girls are having to give up their summers to prepare for competitions in September.  If the people in charge would listen, it could be better.

Offline cheerga94

• Reputation Power: 1
  • cheerga94 is new.
Re: You can also ask
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2013, 12:21:49 AM »
Why should competition cheerleaders have to endure what they do right now?  Long bus rides to football games on Friday, then another long ride Saturday to a competition.  I've attended two competitions this year where almost every squad in a division would drop at least one person.  That used to not happen. 
There's no logical reason why things have to be so rushed.  Why girls are having to give up their summers to prepare for competitions in September.  If the people in charge would listen, it could be better.

Now the summer thing is more than just cheerleading. I have had 2 siblings in softball and football which took up some summer too especially football in workouts. Things are becoming "rushed" now so to speak because of the difficulty increase in cheerleading. 3 years ago this wouldn't have been a problem, but now the scoresheet requires more which requires more training. I do feel cheerleading needs to be longer, but i feel that it needs to start EARLIER. As in allow teams to start practicing BEFORE the end of the current school year. (IE March, April) Instead of after the last day of school. There is going to be the argument that a lot of schools have both a competition squad and a game squad and coming from a 3A school we were able to field both and my sibling going to a 1A private school can field both too. 

CCHEER

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2013, 07:25:37 AM »
Alright just to set the record straight there are lots of coaches who do not want the season to go forever.  I have connections to a smaller school and they divide cheer into two squads - a spirit squad and a competitive - the girls have to choose.  This helps with participation for the school and allows rest.  REST is the key to any season. 

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2013, 03:33:40 PM »

Now the summer thing is more than just cheerleading. I have had 2 siblings in softball and football which took up some summer too especially football in workouts. Things are becoming "rushed" now so to speak because of the difficulty increase in cheerleading. 3 years ago this wouldn't have been a problem, but now the scoresheet requires more which requires more training. I do feel cheerleading needs to be longer, but i feel that it needs to start EARLIER. As in allow teams to start practicing BEFORE the end of the current school year. (IE March, April) Instead of after the last day of school. There is going to be the argument that a lot of schools have both a competition squad and a game squad and coming from a 3A school we were able to field both and my sibling going to a 1A private school can field both too. 

The thing is, a lot of schools either can't, or aren't allowed to do separate squads.  I do understand your point about needing more time for skills development.  I know a lot of softball and football programs have
"optional" workouts during the summer.  Because you can't be required to be there, but you're expected.
But with optional practice, is that enough for competition cheerleaders? 

That's not what I'm trying to say...
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2013, 03:35:55 PM »
Alright just to set the record straight there are lots of coaches who do not want the season to go forever.  I have connections to a smaller school and they divide cheer into two squads - a spirit squad and a competitive - the girls have to choose.  This helps with participation for the school and allows rest.  REST is the key to any season. 
I'm not saying have it go on forever.  I'm saying move the dates.  Keep the same time, move the dates.  Because they'll get more rest with basketball than football.  You also need to understand that a lot of schools either don't have the numbers, or ARE NOT ALLOWED, to do separate squads.

Offline cheerga94

• Reputation Power: 1
  • cheerga94 is new.
Re: That's not what I'm trying to say...
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2013, 11:23:04 PM »
I'm not saying have it go on forever.  I'm saying move the dates.  Keep the same time, move the dates.  Because they'll get more rest with basketball than football.  You also need to understand that a lot of schools either don't have the numbers, or ARE NOT ALLOWED, to do separate squads.

I am sorry i just do not see the whole football games being a good reason to move the season. While throughout my high school cheer career i only had to cheer at 3 big games per season, i did allstar and high school at the same time. High school practiced monday-thursday and allstars was sunday, tuesday, wednesday and other girls on my team were also apart of my allstar team. We would go from high school practice to allstar practice and be fine. I really do not think a football game is more demanding physically than competition cheer practices. I just really have to disagree that football games are causing injuries to cheerleaders. Especially when now a days many cheerleaders are involved with other physically demanding sports including allstars.

Threee games versus an entire season?
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2013, 01:28:37 AM »
I am sorry i just do not see the whole football games being a good reason to move the season. While throughout my high school cheer career i only had to cheer at 3 big games per season, i did allstar and high school at the same time. High school practiced monday-thursday and allstars was sunday, tuesday, wednesday and other girls on my team were also apart of my allstar team. We would go from high school practice to allstar practice and be fine. I really do not think a football game is more demanding physically than competition cheer practices. I just really have to disagree that football games are causing injuries to cheerleaders. Especially when now a days many cheerleaders are involved with other physically demanding sports including allstars.

You say you cheered at three big games?  Well, a lot of squads are having to cheer at EVERY GAME.  Then turn around and compete Saturday morning.  It makes my head hurt that you don't understand just how much of a physical toll that can be.

I never said football games were more demanding than competition cheer practice.  If you'd been paying attention, I've been saying cheering at football games is more demanding than basketball.  Because there's a difference between standing for four quarters, jumping, stunting, and sometimes tumbling on hard ground and standing and sitting in the bleachers and doing something for a minute between quarters.

You say you had all star practice.   But I notice you weren't talking about COMPETITION PRACTICE.  Having all stars and competition practice at the same time would be a CONFLICT OF INTERESTS.  And I've seen the increase in injuries, and too many days when not just a squad or two, but SEVERAL squads would have drops. 

That didn't used to happen before they moved competition season to football season.  There's no reason why athletes should have to endure the stress and strain they do right now.  I'm sorry you don't understand what's going on.

Offline Cheermom62

• Reputation Power: 0
  • Cheermom62 is new.
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2013, 07:06:47 AM »
Honestly, I believe that the drops and falls at competitions  have more to do with the increased level of difficulty in the sport than the Friday night games.

CCHEER

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2013, 08:22:12 AM »
Exactly, the increase skill level is the foundation for drops on the mat - changing a season is not going to help with that ;)

CCHEER

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2013, 08:29:45 AM »

I do understand numbers but it does prolong a season that is physically, mentally and emotionally demanding when you move from football to basketball season.  Schools are still going to try to prepare for the season and the skills.  It is really hard to get kids motivated in a season that offically could start August 1 and end at the end of February.  I know from experience kids are more easily motivated for a season that is only 4 months instead of 7 or 8 months.  Realize that most schools are working in the summer just to condition and get ready for camp, but the full out season is shorter than it use to be.

No, it doesn't...
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2013, 03:33:04 PM »

I do understand numbers but it does prolong a season that is physically, mentally and emotionally demanding when you move from football to basketball season.  Schools are still going to try to prepare for the season and the skills.  It is really hard to get kids motivated in a season that offically could start August 1 and end at the end of February.  I know from experience kids are more easily motivated for a season that is only 4 months instead of 7 or 8 months.  Realize that most schools are working in the summer just to condition and get ready for camp, but the full out season is shorter than it use to be.

I know from experience that it's not shorter.  I know that there are kids who are tired and don't perform as well because of having to cheer for football games.  I know there have been more injuries and more times when entire divisions have had drops.  All things that didn't happen before they moved the season in 2004.

You seem to think that it's a good thing that there are more demands on skills, less time to refine them, less time to recover from injury, and it's perfectly acceptable for athletes to have a long bus ride for football, cheer, then have another long bus ride that morning.  That makes my head hurt. 

You don't grasp the very simple and factual concept that basketball cheering is less stressful.  You don't grasp the concept that moving the season back would not be extending it.  And that by starting it after football, it'd provide something that the athletes need, A CHANCE TO REST. 

I've seen the change.  And besides being sick of the wear and tear on athletes, the second most sickening thing is anyone who'd actually defend it.   >:(

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines