April 25, 2024, 10:21:40 AM

Ga Cheerleading Vent

Author Topic: I've made this rant before  (Read 40948 times)

CCHEER

Re: I've made this rant before
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2013, 05:50:57 PM »
Wow!!!!  Slow down a minute - you are almost sounding like you are personally attacking someone.  We all have a right to say how we feel.  You are now changing my words around and truly that is not what needs to happen here.  You keep blaming the shorter season - it is the rubric and push for more difficult skills that have lead to many injuries. Several people said today that when you change it to basketball season you could potentially lose girls that may run track, play tennis, etc.   

Offline OnThisDayIseeClearly

• Reputation Power: 2
  • OnThisDayIseeClearly is new.
if I were
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2013, 11:17:00 PM »
Wow!!!!  Slow down a minute - you are almost sounding like you are personally attacking someone.  We all have a right to say how we feel.  You are now changing my words around and truly that is not what needs to happen here.  You keep blaming the shorter season - it is the rubric and push for more difficult skills that have lead to many injuries. Several people said today that when you change it to basketball season you could potentially lose girls that may run track, play tennis, etc.   

You would know it.  You accuse me of twisting words when it was YOU who claimed I wanted the season longer.  When what I have been advocating for is to move it back to where it was before.  let it be after football part of December, January, end in February.  You are arguing against basic human physiology.  Because if the human body has more stress and strain on it in a shorter amount of time, there's a bigger risk for injuries.   Eeven if you do have a point, that's even more of a reason to move competitiom season out from football.  Because it'd give athletes more time to hone their skills.

By the way, track doesnt start until after basketball ends.  And if the season ended around the second week of Fen0bruary, little tennis would be missed.  Right now, it crashes into one act play, softball, and cross country.  Consider this an insult if you must, but people who don't even know thei seasons and argue scientific facts make my head hurt.

Offline cheerga94

• Reputation Power: 1
  • cheerga94 is new.
Re: Threee games versus an entire season?
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2013, 12:54:44 AM »
I am sorry i just do not see the whole football games being a good reason to move the season. While throughout my high school cheer career i only had to cheer at 3 big games per season, i did allstar and high school at the same time. High school practiced monday-thursday and allstars was sunday, tuesday, wednesday and other girls on my team were also apart of my allstar team. We would go from high school practice to allstar practice and be fine. I really do not think a football game is more demanding physically than competition cheer practices. I just really have to disagree that football games are causing injuries to cheerleaders. Especially when now a days many cheerleaders are involved with other physically demanding sports including allstars.

You say you cheered at three big games?  Well, a lot of squads are having to cheer at EVERY GAME.  Then turn around and compete Saturday morning.  It makes my head hurt that you don't understand just how much of a physical toll that can be.

I never said football games were more demanding than competition cheer practice.  If you'd been paying attention, I've been saying cheering at football games is more demanding than basketball.  Because there's a difference between standing for four quarters, jumping, stunting, and sometimes tumbling on hard ground and standing and sitting in the bleachers and doing something for a minute between quarters.

You say you had all star practice.   But I notice you weren't talking about COMPETITION PRACTICE.  Having all stars and competition practice at the same time would be a CONFLICT OF INTERESTS.  And I've seen the increase in injuries, and too many days when not just a squad or two, but SEVERAL squads would have drops. 

That didn't used to happen before they moved competition season to football season.  There's no reason why athletes should have to endure the stress and strain they do right now.  I'm sorry you don't understand what's going on.

i was comparing that comparing 1 game per week as too having multiple practices and a competition really doesn't do that much. While i may have only cheered at 3 or so big games per season many of my teammates did both and did not have a problem. Changing seasons is not going to help injuries at all.

Really?
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2013, 10:53:21 PM »
[i was comparing that comparing 1 game per week as too having multiple practices and a competition really doesn't do that much. While i may have only cheered at 3 or so big games per season many of my teammates did both and did not have a problem. Changing seasons is not going to help injuries at all.

Giving athletes a Christmas break, and not making them stunt and other things on hard ground during football games then turn around the next day and compete wouldn't help?  Putting less stress on the human body wouldn't affect injuries?   ???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vxiQ9JCKvE

Offline cheerga94

• cheerga94 is new.
Re: Really?
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2013, 02:17:19 PM »
[i was comparing that comparing 1 game per week as too having multiple practices and a competition really doesn't do that much. While i may have only cheered at 3 or so big games per season many of my teammates did both and did not have a problem. Changing seasons is not going to help injuries at all.

Giving athletes a Christmas break, and not making them stunt and other things on hard ground during football games then turn around the next day and compete wouldn't help?  Putting less stress on the human body wouldn't affect injuries?   ???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vxiQ9JCKvE

Football games do not add as much stress as you think...Until you can show me the statistics that football games have caused more injuries in cheerleading i am sticking to what i have said.

You're arguing scientific fact..
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2013, 05:48:34 PM »
Football games do not add as much stress as you think...Until you can show me the statistics that football games have caused more injuries in cheerleading i am sticking to what i have said.

Doing more at football, then competing the next day is more stress on the body.  It's very simple physiology.  I've seen the change.  I've been around this sport much longer than you and have noticed the difference. 

Offline cheerga94

• cheerga94 is new.
Re: You're arguing scientific fact..
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2013, 07:35:05 PM »

Doing more at football, then competing the next day is more stress on the body.  It's very simple physiology.  I've seen the change.  I've been around this sport much longer than you and have noticed the difference.

I've still been in this sport for 12 going on 13 years. Practicing everyday is also stress on the body but we do it anyways. if anything that has more to do with it than football games.

Having to practice for competition and football
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2013, 09:57:59 PM »

I've still been in this sport for 12 going on 13 years. Practicing everyday is also stress on the body but we do it anyways. if anything that has more to do with it than football games.

Practicing for football and competition then having to cheer at both back to back has increased the physical and mental strain.  As someone who's seen state before it got moved to Columbus, seen more poor routines executed now, and an increased number of girls with wrapped body parts or out, I have seen the injuries first hand.  You keep denying simple logic.  More physicak stress on the human body in a shorter time period leads to injuries.

You're boring me.:

CCHEER

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2013, 08:20:09 AM »
I can see as usual this is getting no where - there are always more than one opinion on any topic and it is important that everyone gets to voice theirs without insult. 

Offline cheerga94

• cheerga94 is new.
Re: Having to practice for competition and football
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2013, 10:24:08 AM »

Practicing for football and competition then having to cheer at both back to back has increased the physical and mental strain.  As someone who's seen state before it got moved to Columbus, seen more poor routines executed now, and an increased number of girls with wrapped body parts or out, I have seen the injuries first hand.  You keep denying simple logic.  More physicak stress on the human body in a shorter time period leads to injuries.

You're boring me.:

that is due to the difficulty increase and being on hard mat. You can take a freshman cheerleader and by the time she is a senior she will most likely be wearing some type of brace.

CCHEER

« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2013, 11:27:20 AM »
Yes, that makes sense - that is the real issue!  They are having more demands placed on them.

Offline cheerub

• Reputation Power: 0
  • cheerub is new.
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2013, 01:03:44 PM »
You also have more girls who are competing both in high school AND in all stars. These two seasons overlap as far as practices are concerned and many girls compete at region and state on Saturday, then turn around on Sunday and compete with their all star teams. In most schools, girls are still cheering for football (even if it's just for home games) during the fall simply because that's the way programs are still being maintained. The skills required have definitely contributed to increased injury, and this is coming from personal experience; I competed on wooden floors (when state was held in Macon) when having a tuck was considered elite. Here's something else to consider: after any type of injury, there is going to be necessary rehabilitation in order to truly recover. There are many who consider that slapping a brace on and that's it. The continual use of braces without proper rehab and recovery is going to hinder rather than help. Face it- you've got kids (and parents) who want to compete, regardless of what consequences they may face as far as injury is concerned. When you can go to Walmart and buy a brace for any body part imaginable, you're going to see a lot of braces, many of which are unnecessary and do not help as intended. I had a girl once who came in wearing a knee brace because she had told her parents about a pain that she had in her leg, They went to the local pharmacy, bought a huge brace, and she thought she was going to wear it and all would be well. Turns out, she had a charley horse. So, not to disregard the legitimate injuries and braces, but some are serving no purpose whatsoever.

As the demands and skills increase, so will the injuries. I don't think that it has anything to do with a shorter season, because many of the girls are going to cheer year-round anyway with all stars, as even all star programs are starting their practices earlier in the year, as well.

Well...
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2013, 03:45:09 PM »
I can see as usual this is getting no where - there are always more than one opinion on any topic and it is important that everyone gets to voice theirs without insult. 

I find your denial of the obvious insulting. 

« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2013, 03:48:28 PM »
As the demands and skills increase, so will the injuries. I don't think that it has anything to do with a shorter season, because many of the girls are going to cheer year-round anyway with all stars, as even all star programs are starting their practices earlier in the year, as well.

All Stars isn't offered all over Georgia.  A lot of girls either don't have the opportunity or time because they are doing other things. 

Offline cheerga94

• cheerga94 is new.
Re: Well...
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2013, 05:17:47 PM »

I find your denial of the obvious insulting.

its not obvious though lol. A high school cheer practice is more physically and mentally draining than a football game and a lot of comp only squads practice on fridays too. There is NO statistics showing that the injuries have increased due to football games but there are statistics showing the injuries increasing over the increase in difficulty. The USASF, which is way more safer than high school cheer, had a big reduction in difficulty due to the rise in injuries.

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines