April 25, 2024, 04:55:54 AM

Ga Cheerleading Vent

Author Topic: I've made this rant before  (Read 40917 times)

Offline OnThisDayIseeClearly

• Reputation Power: 2
  • OnThisDayIseeClearly is new.
It's not?
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2013, 12:27:13 AM »
its not obvious though lol. A high school cheer practice is more physically and mentally draining than a football game and a lot of comp only squads practice on fridays too. There is NO statistics showing that the injuries have increased due to football games but there are statistics showing the injuries increasing over the increase in difficulty. The USASF, which is way more safer than high school cheer, had a big reduction in difficulty due to the rise in injuries.

If the human body does more tough physical activity in a short time period, more chance for injury.  Simple science.  And I have a news flash, your scenario is a galaxy far, far away from reality for lots of smaller schools.  Because at those schools, the same girls cheering on Friday nights are turning around the next day and cheering at competitions.  There isn't the money, athletes, or in other cases, permission to do a separate squad. 

As to statistics, I have a story to share.  Tonight, I was buying some frozen garlic bread.  I had the choice of the store brand or a name brand.  Even though there was a ten-cent difference in price, I had no "statistical" way of knowing which one was better or a better value.  But I measured both packages and figured out which one was bigger.

In other words, my own two eyes provided all the evidence I needed.  Just like my own eyes have seen the increase in injuries.  It's called repetitive motion.  The human body having to do high impact work over and over.   It's simple for people who actually try to understand.

Offline cheerga94

• Reputation Power: 1
  • cheerga94 is new.
Re: It's not?
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2013, 01:19:45 AM »

In other words, my own two eyes provided all the evidence I needed.  Just like my own eyes have seen the increase in injuries.  It's called repetitive motion.  The human body having to do high impact work over and over.   It's simple for people who actually try to understand.

The high impact work is coming from PRACTICE 4-5 days a week and the increase in difficulty, NOT from a football game. Injuries are more common due to the increase in difficulty and the lack of qualified coaches.

Now who's being insulting???
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2013, 03:44:12 PM »
The high impact work is coming from PRACTICE 4-5 days a week and the increase in difficulty, NOT from a football game. Injuries are more common due to the increase in difficulty and the lack of qualified coaches.

Insulting coaches who get their squads to state to make an invalid point?  Because as someone who's been around longer than you, I happen to see a lot of those wrapped body parts at state.   Do you have any shame at all?  They are practicing for football and competition at the same time, cheering for both at the same time.  That has nothing to do with the quality of coaches, everything to do with human physiology and repetitive motion.

It's so simple for someone who wants to understand the obvious. 

Offline cheerga94

• cheerga94 is new.
Re: Now who's being insulting???
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2013, 06:18:24 PM »

Insulting coaches who get their squads to state to make an invalid point?  Because as someone who's been around longer than you, I happen to see a lot of those wrapped body parts at state.   Do you have any shame at all?  They are practicing for football and competition at the same time, cheering for both at the same time.  That has nothing to do with the quality of coaches, everything to do with human physiology and repetitive motion.

It's so simple for someone who wants to understand the obvious.

Not insulting all coaches but not every coach who has a team at state is qualified. It really doesnt matter how long you've been around. For more than half of my life cheerleading has been apart of my daily routines. So you are telling me that every cheerleader with a brace at state is also a football cheerleader and that the football games are causing the injuries? nothing else. i disagree with you whole heartedly and i will leave it at that.

I think it does...
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2013, 12:33:36 AM »
Not insulting all coaches but not every coach who has a team at state is qualified. It really doesnt matter how long you've been around. For more than half of my life cheerleading has been apart of my daily routines. So you are telling me that every cheerleader with a brace at state is also a football cheerleader and that the football games are causing the injuries? nothing else. i disagree with you whole heartedly and i will leave it at that.

Because I've been around long enough to see the changes.  And I'll tell you exactly and succinctly what I'm saying.  That I have noticed an INCREASE in injuries.  More wraps and braces.  I've noticed them in the smaller classifications specifically.  The ones where you have girls who are cheering at football games on Friday and competing on Saturday. 

I'm using simple logic and understanding of the human anatomy to say that the increased injuries are because of the extra stress from having to do both.  I've also noticed too many times almost entire divisions at competitions having drops or other performance mistakes.  That didn't happen before the change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-twUCEfzrDk

Offline cheerga94

• cheerga94 is new.
Re: I think it does...
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2013, 09:47:15 PM »

Because I've been around long enough to see the changes.  And I'll tell you exactly and succinctly what I'm saying.  That I have noticed an INCREASE in injuries.  More wraps and braces.  I've noticed them in the smaller classifications specifically.  The ones where you have girls who are cheering at football games on Friday and competing on Saturday. 

I'm using simple logic and understanding of the human anatomy to say that the increased injuries are because of the extra stress from having to do both.  I've also noticed too many times almost entire divisions at competitions having drops or other performance mistakes.  That didn't happen before the change.

i am still sticking to what i have been saying the whole time and people on here apparently agree.

Really?
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2013, 12:56:32 AM »
i am still sticking to what i have been saying the whole time and people on here apparently agree.

One other person makes the same wrong arguments you do and you claim victory? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vxiQ9JCKvE 

If two or three people hold the same wrong opinion, it just means those people are all wrong about the same thing. 

Stick to your argument, I couldn't care less.  I've explained basic science and human anatomy, refuted your silly claim about competition practice being on Friday's for smaller schools, yet you continue to think that having competition season during football season is such a good idea. 

And for someone who wants to "leave it at that" you keep coming back.  Each time though, nothing new.   ::)

Offline cheerga94

• cheerga94 is new.
Re: Really?
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2013, 03:41:41 AM »

One other person makes the same wrong arguments you do and you claim victory? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vxiQ9JCKvE 

If two or three people hold the same wrong opinion, it just means those people are all wrong about the same thing. 

Stick to your argument, I couldn't care less.  I've explained basic science and human anatomy, refuted your silly claim about competition practice being on Friday's for smaller schools, yet you continue to think that having competition season during football season is such a good idea. 

And for someone who wants to "leave it at that" you keep coming back.  Each time though, nothing new.   ::)

Are you a coach or a parent or what. If you are experiencing it first hand then that is one thing. But you're only argument is an ASSUMPTION. You are ASSUMING that because you are seeing more braces at competitions that they are automatically because of football games. Please bring your idea to GHSA and see what they have to say. Do you honestly think they will switch the season around because you see more braces at competitions? What is the difference between basketball games and football games? And cheerleaders cheer at more basketball games too, but yet it would be perfectly ok and not physically exhausting to cheer at those right?

Desperate much?
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2013, 02:18:25 PM »
Are you a coach or a parent or what. If you are experiencing it first hand then that is one thing. But you're only argument is an ASSUMPTION. You are ASSUMING that because you are seeing more braces at competitions that they are automatically because of football games. Please bring your idea to GHSA and see what they have to say. Do you honestly think they will switch the season around because you see more braces at competitions? What is the difference between basketball games and football games? And cheerleaders cheer at more basketball games too, but yet it would be perfectly ok and not physically exhausting to cheer at those right?

Wanting to know who I am.  No, I am not "assuming" as you so arrogantly claim.  I am using common sense, something you obviously have no concept of.  Because common sense dictates that when the human body does more high stress physical activity in a shorter time period, the body wears out easier and body parts get hurt.  Common sense dictates when entire divisions are dropping stunts on Saturdays, including squads that have been good for years, there's obviously an exhaustion problem.  I've had friends who were healthy and talented cheerleaders but suffered repetitive motion injuries.

You keep bringing up practice.  Well here's a newsflash.  The extra strain of having to practice for competitions and football during the same week (a reality for smaller schools) and cheering at both contributes to repetitive motion injuries.  Body parts being worn out from having to use them a lot in a short time period. 

You don't know the difference between basketball and football games?  Besides the obvious length, let me again spell it out.  Four quarters in football of jumping and stunting on hard ground versus four quarters of standing in the bleachers, sitting down sometimes, and maybe going down to do a jump or tumble during a timeout or between quarters.   Less stress on the body.  Oh, and did I mention that during the old season, there was time to actually REST.  Something this current season does not allow for.

As to the GHSA, like they'd actually care what anyone from a small school not in the north has to say?  But what I don't get is this.  Competition season used to be later in the year.  I simply want it moved back.  Away from football.  For the benefit of the cheerleaders.  So they'll be fresher.  So that they'll have time to rest and recover and their bodies won't be put under so much strain.  And so they can enjoy more of high school life without fouled up schedule days such as November 9.  You oppose this. 

Why?  There is no logical benefit to the sport being during football season.  Yet you seem so in favor of it and have yet to offer any real reason why.  You have continued to argue common sense and basic human physiology.  Now you scream about my identity in a desperate attempt to smear me.  You said people should have the right to express their opinion.  Well, that's what I've been doing.  And doing it much more logically than you.

Can't wait to hear what gem you come up with next.    ::)

Offline cheerga94

• cheerga94 is new.
Re: Desperate much?
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2013, 05:45:08 PM »

Wanting to know who I am.  No, I am not "assuming" as you so arrogantly claim.  I am using common sense, something you obviously have no concept of.  Because common sense dictates that when the human body does more high stress physical activity in a shorter time period, the body wears out easier and body parts get hurt.  Common sense dictates when entire divisions are dropping stunts on Saturdays, including squads that have been good for years, there's obviously an exhaustion problem.  I've had friends who were healthy and talented cheerleaders but suffered repetitive motion injuries.

You keep bringing up practice.  Well here's a newsflash.  The extra strain of having to practice for competitions and football during the same week (a reality for smaller schools) and cheering at both contributes to repetitive motion injuries.  Body parts being worn out from having to use them a lot in a short time period. 

You don't know the difference between basketball and football games?  Besides the obvious length, let me again spell it out.  Four quarters in football of jumping and stunting on hard ground versus four quarters of standing in the bleachers, sitting down sometimes, and maybe going down to do a jump or tumble during a timeout or between quarters.   Less stress on the body.  Oh, and did I mention that during the old season, there was time to actually REST.  Something this current season does not allow for.

As to the GHSA, like they'd actually care what anyone from a small school not in the north has to say?  But what I don't get is this.  Competition season used to be later in the year.  I simply want it moved back.  Away from football.  For the benefit of the cheerleaders.  So they'll be fresher.  So that they'll have time to rest and recover and their bodies won't be put under so much strain.  And so they can enjoy more of high school life without fouled up schedule days such as November 9.  You oppose this. 

Why?  There is no logical benefit to the sport being during football season.  Yet you seem so in favor of it and have yet to offer any real reason why.  You have continued to argue common sense and basic human physiology.  Now you scream about my identity in a desperate attempt to smear me.  You said people should have the right to express their opinion.  Well, that's what I've been doing.  And doing it much more logically than you.

Can't wait to hear what gem you come up with next.    ::)

Logically? I am laughing. The only thing you have said so far is that it is "common sense" that football games are causing more injuries and more strain on the bodies. I oppose this; like i said earlier, why i may have not cheered both game squad and competition, several people on my team did. And never in my 4 years did that have any affect on their body. And several others and myself balancing both allstar and high school competition multiple times a week for 4 YEARS seemed to do fine too. But isn't it common sense that myself and other cheerleaders on my team should be wearing braces? Yes, quite a few of us did, but did that come from straining our bodies at football games? No, as a matter of fact a lot of cheerleaders look at footballs game as little bit of a stress reliever before competitions.

To answer your question as to WHY I do not want the season moved? I did mention that it will take a toll on a lot of schools talent due to all-star season starting up but i will agree that it is not GHSA's problem to build their schedule around a club sport. I could not care what season they decide to move cheer to; my argument to your argument is that it will NOT make a difference. The braces and injuries will NOT go away no matter what season you put cheerleading in. It's the nature of the beast; what we do is dangerous and there will be injuries.

Now PLEASE tell me how I have not said anything logical in this statement. The injuries are NOT from football, but they are increasing due to the DIFFICULTY increase. 5 years ago, straight up stunts, and a 2 8 count pyramid could win state. Now today teams are pushing stunting limits and especially tumbling. Everyone is trying to get fulls as quickly as possible to max out. That is not safe at all especially on hard mat. If you are going to sit there and tell me your argument that football games are causing more strain and injuries than cheerleading itself, than you are insane.

Please keep it coming. The lack of knowledge you think you know is making me laugh.  ;)

You really want to know?
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2013, 10:19:02 PM »
Logically? I am laughing. The only thing you have said so far is that it is "common sense" that football games are causing more injuries and more strain on the bodies. I oppose this; like i said earlier, why i may have not cheered both game squad and competition, several people on my team did. And never in my 4 years did that have any affect on their body. And several others and myself balancing both allstar and high school competition multiple times a week for 4 YEARS seemed to do fine too. But isn't it common sense that myself and other cheerleaders on my team should be wearing braces? Yes, quite a few of us did, but did that come from straining our bodies at football games? No, as a matter of fact a lot of cheerleaders look at footballs game as little bit of a stress reliever before competitions.

To answer your question as to WHY I do not want the season moved? I did mention that it will take a toll on a lot of schools talent due to all-star season starting up but i will agree that it is not GHSA's problem to build their schedule around a club sport. I could not care what season they decide to move cheer to; my argument to your argument is that it will NOT make a difference. The braces and injuries will NOT go away no matter what season you put cheerleading in. It's the nature of the beast; what we do is dangerous and there will be injuries.

Now PLEASE tell me how I have not said anything logical in this statement. The injuries are NOT from football, but they are increasing due to the DIFFICULTY increase. 5 years ago, straight up stunts, and a 2 8 count pyramid could win state. Now today teams are pushing stunting limits and especially tumbling. Everyone is trying to get fulls as quickly as possible to max out. That is not safe at all especially on hard mat. If you are going to sit there and tell me your argument that football games are causing more strain and injuries than cheerleading itself, than you are insane.

Please keep it coming. The lack of knowledge you think you know is making me laugh.  ;)

Because for the umpteenth million time, you once ignored basic human anatomy and physiology.  You don't seem to grasp the very simple concept of more stress and strain, more injuries.  You've continued to ignore something that is scientific fact.  That's not logical.  You keep harping on the increase in difficulty, yet ignore the strain already of having to compete and do football games. 

If you could actually read, you'd know what I've been saying all along.  That there are more tired girls, and an increase in injuries because of the stress and strain of having to cheer at football games and competitions at the same time.  I've been around the sport longer, and I've seen the increase.  You might say again it's the skills increase.  Well, if you're capable of logical thought, think about this.  The sport has increased in difficulty.  Many of the athletes involved are already having to practice for football and cheer at football games.

They're now having to do more difficult things for that sport, plus practice for, and cheer at football games.  If you say the human body doesn't get more stress and strain from that, you should ask someone to buy you a clue for Christmas.  As I explained (which you ignored of course because you do more cherry picking than a game of Hi Ho Cherry O) cheering at football games demands more than at basketball games.

There you go cherry picking again.  Because I never said the injuries would stop.  What I said was that there would be fewer if the season were later.  You're arguing that giving athletes a holiday break to rest and recover wouldn't  make a difference.  And you wondered what wasn't logical?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE9S3zQx_2k

You mention three or four people, I'm saying multiple squads.  Over YEARS.  More years than you've been around.    All you've shown is that you can cherry pick parts of sentences and ignore points.  But please, don't try to actually refute anything.  I might die of shock.   :o 

By the way, such honesty.  "I'll leave it at that" you said.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9U_C_q6WcU

Offline cheerga94

• cheerga94 is new.
Re: You really want to know?
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2013, 12:58:32 AM »

Because for the umpteenth million time, you once ignored basic human anatomy and physiology.  You don't seem to grasp the very simple concept of more stress and strain, more injuries.  You've continued to ignore something that is scientific fact.  That's not logical.  You keep harping on the increase in difficulty, yet ignore the strain already of having to compete and do football games. 

If you could actually read, you'd know what I've been saying all along.  That there are more tired girls, and an increase in injuries because of the stress and strain of having to cheer at football games and competitions at the same time.  I've been around the sport longer, and I've seen the increase.  You might say again it's the skills increase.  Well, if you're capable of logical thought, think about this.  The sport has increased in difficulty.  Many of the athletes involved are already having to practice for football and cheer at football games.

They're now having to do more difficult things for that sport, plus practice for, and cheer at football games.  If you say the human body doesn't get more stress and strain from that, you should ask someone to buy you a clue for Christmas.  As I explained (which you ignored of course because you do more cherry picking than a game of Hi Ho Cherry O) cheering at football games demands more than at basketball games.

There you go cherry picking again.  Because I never said the injuries would stop.  What I said was that there would be fewer if the season were later.  You're arguing that giving athletes a holiday break to rest and recover wouldn't  make a difference.  And you wondered what wasn't logical?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE9S3zQx_2k

You mention three or four people, I'm saying multiple squads.  Over YEARS.  More years than you've been around.    All you've shown is that you can cherry pick parts of sentences and ignore points.  But please, don't try to actually refute anything.  I might die of shock.   :o 

By the way, such honesty.  "I'll leave it at that" you said.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9U_C_q6WcU

This is will be my last response for sure. I promise.

"Because for the umpteenth million time, you once ignored basic human anatomy and physiology.  You don't seem to grasp the very simple concept of more stress and strain, more injuries."
Wrong. I get that, but the stress and strain and injuries are coming from the difficulty increase. It does not take that much effort to cheer at a football game 1 day a week.

"They're now having to do more difficult things for that sport, plus practice for, and cheer at football games.  If you say the human body doesn't get more stress and strain from that, you should ask someone to buy you a clue for Christmas.  As I explained (which you ignored of course because you do more cherry picking than a game of Hi Ho Cherry O) cheering at football games demands more than at basketball games."
You cannot physically put that much stress and strain on your body 1 night a week. If there were football games every night, i would see your point as valid, but the fact that they are 1 night a week is NOT repetitive motion. It is not a daily activity.

"Because I never said the injuries would stop.  What I said was that there would be fewer if the season were later.  You're arguing that giving athletes a holiday break to rest and recover wouldn't  make a difference."

Not practicing for 2 weeks and then jumping into the point where squads should be hitting the routines and getting ready for state would not help the injuries decrease(ill use that instead of going away). As a current cheerleader myself and one who experiences the break every year, it is HARD getting back into it after christmas. In the allstar world it is very rare that teams compete in janurary and if they do it is late janurary.
Our season right now is only 4 months(summer is not mandatory, but once school starts practice is.)

The fact of the matter is, GHSA is not going to change the season because some smaller schools can't have more than one squad. I'm not going to waste my time arguing over something that is not going to change.
I know my "opinion" is valid. 

CCHEER

Re: I've made this rant before
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2013, 09:53:45 AM »
All I have to say is thank you cheerga94.  I have appreciated your input into this discussion.  You may know this already but about 8 years ago cheer coaches had an opportunity to vote for cheer season times.  Majority ruled.  Thank you for your explanations - you seem to have more patience with illogical people than I do  :D

More cherry picking
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2013, 11:57:40 PM »
This is will be my last response for sure. I promise.

"Because for the umpteenth million time, you once ignored basic human anatomy and physiology.  You don't seem to grasp the very simple concept of more stress and strain, more injuries."
Wrong. I get that, but the stress and strain and injuries are coming from the difficulty increase. It does not take that much effort to cheer at a football game 1 day a week.

"They're now having to do more difficult things for that sport, plus practice for, and cheer at football games.  If you say the human body doesn't get more stress and strain from that, you should ask someone to buy you a clue for Christmas.  As I explained (which you ignored of course because you do more cherry picking than a game of Hi Ho Cherry O) cheering at football games demands more than at basketball games."
You cannot physically put that much stress and strain on your body 1 night a week. If there were football games every night, i would see your point as valid, but the fact that they are 1 night a week is NOT repetitive motion. It is not a daily activity.

"Because I never said the injuries would stop.  What I said was that there would be fewer if the season were later.  You're arguing that giving athletes a holiday break to rest and recover wouldn't  make a difference."

Not practicing for 2 weeks and then jumping into the point where squads should be hitting the routines and getting ready for state would not help the injuries decrease(ill use that instead of going away). As a current cheerleader myself and one who experiences the break every year, it is HARD getting back into it after christmas. In the allstar world it is very rare that teams compete in janurary and if they do it is late janurary.
Our season right now is only 4 months(summer is not mandatory, but once school starts practice is.)

The fact of the matter is, GHSA is not going to change the season because some smaller schools can't have more than one squad. I'm not going to waste my time arguing over something that is not going to change.
I know my "opinion" is valid. 

Ignore practicing for football then having to cheer for games.  Ignore better routines and the fewer injuries that occurred when there used to be a winter break. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmoXitqQMcM

Nothing new.  Don't know anything about how smaller schools are dealing with budget crunches, don't even carry basketball cheerleaders to away games, yet you think they can afford to have a separate squad and a coach to deal with it.  Delusional people think their opinions are valid too.

What your post actually is.
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2013, 12:01:08 AM »
Because 1. not all coaches attend those meetings.  2.  The cheerleading committee sets the dates for the season.  3. On the off chance you are correct, if the majority thought you should have to live under a bridge, would you think it's a good idea?  Or if the "majority" wanted to abolish competition cheerleading?  A "majority" wanting something doesn't mean it's right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd6aLnPHqeE

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines