March 29, 2024, 04:45:03 AM

Ga Cheerleading Vent

Author Topic: Falcon Frenzy Frustration  (Read 6844 times)

Offline OnThisDayIseeClearly

• Reputation Power: 2
  • OnThisDayIseeClearly is new.
Falcon Frenzy Frustration
« on: October 05, 2014, 06:37:51 AM »
I didn't wish to hijack a results thread, so am posting here.  I don't feel the afternoon sessions were very well ran.  The first one was late, making the second start later.  They didn't clear the gym between the second and third, used one panel of judges and had them switch sides rather than using two panels and use both sides.

As a result, there was bad overcrowding and people having to sit in the aisles for lack of space.  It's disappointing.  Because I feel like the organizers should know better having done this before.

Offline cheerub

• Reputation Power: 0
  • cheerub is new.
Re: Falcon Frenzy Frustration
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 09:51:05 AM »
I still don't understand what takes so long between teams. With the rubric, it's pretty cut and dry- either you have the (very) specific components in each area,  or you do not. If each judge is responsible for one area of the rubric (counting entires and body positions in stunts, counting fulls in tumbling, etc...), then what is there to talk about between teams? I may need to know the DOD score for stunts, but that's it. Granted this is not a problem at all competitions, but some panels spend way too much time in discussion between teams. I'm just wondering what there is to discus...if the safety finds a violation, he/she has his/her sheet for that infraction. If we are having to spend so much time in discussion between each team, it defeats the purpose if having one judge "judging" one area of the rubric.

You're absolutely correct...
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 05:42:45 PM »
I still don't understand what takes so long between teams. With the rubric, it's pretty cut and dry- either you have the (very) specific components in each area,  or you do not. If each judge is responsible for one area of the rubric (counting entires and body positions in stunts, counting fulls in tumbling, etc...), then what is there to talk about between teams? I may need to know the DOD score for stunts, but that's it. Granted this is not a problem at all competitions, but some panels spend way too much time in discussion between teams. I'm just wondering what there is to discus...if the safety finds a violation, he/she has his/her sheet for that infraction. If we are having to spend so much time in discussion between each team, it defeats the purpose if having one judge "judging" one area of the rubric.

I know yesterday it did seem to take a while between some squads for example.  And it shouldn't.  Because there are things that can be plainly seen (IE: knees down on tumbling.)   I also don't think it's fair to the squads waiting to be called. 

Offline eringobragh

• Reputation Power: 0
  • eringobragh is new.
Re: Falcon Frenzy Frustration
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 04:35:38 PM »
If there is one thing that puts a sour taste in your mouth with a competition, it's being held in a gym all day long for a competition that should be over in 2-3 hours tops.  Also, I hate to sound petty, but the trophies that were given at East Laurens were so pitiful.  They looked like what our T Ball team players got.  I'm sorry, but it would not have cost that much more to purchase decent sized trophies!

That's another complaint I've heard elsewhere.
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 02:53:06 AM »
If there is one thing that puts a sour taste in your mouth with a competition, it's being held in a gym all day long for a competition that should be over in 2-3 hours tops.  Also, I hate to sound petty, but the trophies that were given at East Laurens were so pitiful.  They looked like what our T Ball team players got.  I'm sorry, but it would not have cost that much more to purchase decent sized trophies!

That the trophies were too small.  The competition running behind shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone. One set of judges with all those teams, what they'd think would happen?  All the money they made, and they can't afford decent sized trophies and two panels of judges?  From people who've "been there, done that," and should easily know better? 

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines