March 28, 2024, 01:39:16 PM

Ga Cheerleading Vent

Author Topic: Northgate  (Read 13457 times)

Offline Cheerknowledge

• Global Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Cheerknowledge is new.
  • KNOWLEDGE is POWER
Northgate
« on: October 26, 2014, 10:24:46 AM »
A lot of good teams were at this competition.  Do we know how everything turned out?   How teams are looking?  Looking for results!

I think I should be able to get video of this competition.

-This post is purely the opinion of Cheerknowledge and that of no one else and is not by any means influenced by any one person, team, or location.

Offline Cheervet

• Reputation Power: 0
  • Cheervet is new.
Re: Northgate
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 03:54:59 PM »
Coed:
1. McIntosh
2. Luella
3. Troup County
4. Sprayberry

I was really surprised at Troup they didn't have a good showing yesterday. A lot of issues...hopefully they can get it back together before next weekend. Definitely not what was expected of them. Anyone know where they will be next weekend??  Luella did ok a few bobbles and missed stunts, McIntosh was typical McIntosh and Sprayberry's difficulty just isn't there.

as far as other divisions go..

I know Starr's Mill won 5A,
John's Creek won 6A, and
Central Carrollton won 3A

Offline naFregiT

• naFregiT is new.
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 04:43:08 PM »
Who won AA??

Offline Cheervet

• Cheervet is new.
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 04:58:25 PM »
JV:
1. Carrollton
2. Columbus
3. Central

2A: (I Think. I could be wrong. Correct me if I am)
1. Coosa
2. Breman
3. Swainsboro

3A:
1.Central

4A
1. Carrollton
2. Pike County

5A:
1.Starr's Mill
2. Ola
Morrow, Villa Rica, & Hardaway were also in this Division but I don't know their placements

6A
1. Johns Creek
2. East Coweta
Lambert, Newnan, South Forsyth were also in this division but I dont know their placements

Offline cheernerd10

• cheernerd10 is new.
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 07:45:22 PM »
They always have a grand champ so I'm curious to know who it was? Does anyone know?

Just curious because there were so many powerhouse teams at Northgate this weekend. I would think it would be between Carrollton, Mcintosh, Johns Creek, Starr's Mill, or Coosa considering they are AA but a super strong and lasting program history.

Offline naFregiT

• naFregiT is new.
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 07:57:08 PM »
Pretty sure Swainsboro pulled out due to injury.

Offline Cheerknowledge

• Global Moderator
  • Cheerknowledge is new.
  • KNOWLEDGE is POWER
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 08:49:14 PM »

**Edit - Sorry just looked at the crazy spacing....was copying and pasting from the text I received**

Got some details...

Starr's Mill was eventual grand Champion.

East Coweta should have won AAAAAA but had a deduction that put them below Johns Creek.

McIntosh was probably the cleanest they have looked all year.

Carrollton looked amazing and probably could have contended in any of the divisions that day.

Carrollton, McInotosh, Johns Creek, South Forsyth, East Coweta, Starrs Mill all had solid hit routines, any of these teams could have won grand champion .

Many were surprised with Starrs Mill winning grand champion as they don't max out.  They only seem to throw two standing handspring through to fulls and have a girl that goes straight up in stunts.

However, this appeared to be many of the issues with the judging that day.  It also appears to be a big problem across the state from what I am hearing.  Sad to see the judges can't get it together, once again, even though they have a rubric that spells it out for them.

From what I was told, it was a great day at Northgate.  Lot's of teams showed up and brought their "A" game.  Great for the fans.  Judges apparently need to get it together but it shouldn't take away from the girls and how awesome they were!  Way to go ladies!
-This post is purely the opinion of Cheerknowledge and that of no one else and is not by any means influenced by any one person, team, or location.

Offline cheernerd10

• cheernerd10 is new.
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 09:16:39 PM »
I just watched the videos and it is clear they don't max out but maybe they got it based on execution? Does anyone have the scores because it would just be an automatic -6 on DOD. So maybe they scored high elsewhere? However, after watching the videos it is kind of crazy that they won. I was a GHSA judge way back when the score sheet first changed and I remember Pam Carter making it known that execution is everything. It wouldn't be fair to hold a team back because they couldn't do the skill but they could execute what they could do. If a team could only do 16 back handsprings and they were perfect in form, timing, and transitions then they could have a 2 or 3 on DOD (I forgot exactly the rubric) and Max out in execution. Columbus High School and Oconee County are prime examples from a few years ago.

And we can't forget the 3 little spaces at the end of the score sheet- creativity, transitions/formations, showmanship. Those are the most subjective parts. I am trying to be objective here because I would defend any of those top teams that day because everyone was so good even Pike County did well!

Offline Cheerknowledge

• Global Moderator
  • Cheerknowledge is new.
  • KNOWLEDGE is POWER
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 09:33:56 PM »
I just watched the videos and it is clear they don't max out but maybe they got it based on execution? Does anyone have the scores because it would just be an automatic -6 on DOD. So maybe they scored high elsewhere? However, after watching the videos it is kind of crazy that they won. I was a GHSA judge way back when the score sheet first changed and I remember Pam Carter making it known that execution is everything. It wouldn't be fair to hold a team back because they couldn't do the skill but they could execute what they could do. If a team could only do 16 back handsprings and they were perfect in form, timing, and transitions then they could have a 2 or 3 on DOD (I forgot exactly the rubric) and Max out in execution. Columbus High School and Oconee County are prime examples from a few years ago.

And we can't forget the 3 little spaces at the end of the score sheet- creativity, transitions/formations, showmanship. Those are the most subjective parts. I am trying to be objective here because I would defend any of those top teams that day because everyone was so good even Pike County did well!

Not saying you are not correct on the execution portion, But I will disagree with you on how a non-maxed out DOD routine should beat one that is maxed out and hit just as good if not better.

They would have technically needed help in order to win how they did (and top teams in the state didn't necessarily help on this day, they all hit).  Being a judge, you should understand the breakdown here (this is off the 3 scores being kept after high and low are dropped):
The top score for DOD in standing should have been a 5.  This would have dropped their score to a 97 if everything was perfect.  The top score for their DOD in partner stunts should have been a 7.  This would have dropped their score further to a 94 if everything was perfect. This would have brought the highest total possible to 282.  I can tell you this, their grand total was more than this.  So in saying this, their 94 would have basically been three 100's on a perfect score-sheet.  Now you do the math and watch the routine, was that a perfect 100 across the board??  let's just play the game a little further.  Let's just say here and there they got a couple of points off for execution etc.  And they had 3 91's on their score sheet (equivalent to three 97's with a perfect maxed out scoresheet), that means their top score should have been 273.  What I can tell you again is, they were at least 10 points higher than that.  Just wanted to point out how the breakdown would occur with a "perfect or next to perfect routine."

Listen, I am not saying Starrs Mill wasn't amazing, because they were.  Those girls deserve to celebrate this victory big time, because this problem isn't on them.  I'm pointing out the issues with the judging.  I would feel real bad for  one of the teams that goes and maxes out everything and hit's solid and then has it taken away from them because judges can't count or know what is happening in a routine.  Sad.

Again, congrats to the winners on the day!

Offline naFregiT

• naFregiT is new.
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 09:35:44 PM »
Where can I watch the videos?

Offline Cheerknowledge

• Global Moderator
  • Cheerknowledge is new.
  • KNOWLEDGE is POWER
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 09:37:27 PM »
Where can I watch the videos?

I think you can youtube search many of them.

Offline Cheerknowledge

• Global Moderator
  • Cheerknowledge is new.
  • KNOWLEDGE is POWER
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 09:52:09 PM »
I don't want people to read what I post here the wrong way...I just have knowledge when it comes to this and I'm just trying to share that knowledge (no pun intended haha).  There are many teams in this state, that are getting away with hiding from the rubric. 

Again, this rests on the shoulders of GHSA and the judges.  It is their duty to make sure the score sheet is held to its integrity and that all teams are judged fairly.  The fact teams are getting away with "hiding" isn't a knock on their part, it is more of a slap in the face to the judges.  It's basically saying "gotcha, and we knew we could!"

But nobody reading this should be shocked....this has been the case for years.   ;)

CCHEER

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 02:03:46 PM »
I heard that Coosa had an injury.  Did they look good that day? I know they always have a great routine. I heard that Breman looked pretty good. Just trying to see what Double A has this year - haven't heard a lot from this division.  :D

Offline Queenofcheermoms

• Queenofcheermoms is new.
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 08:26:55 AM »
Starrs Mill did not max out at Northgate.  They had to rework their routine the night before and should not have maxed out although the judges missed it.  I hope they do a better job of noticing when teams fake and don't max out at state.  Not fair to the teams that do. 

Offline Cheerknowledge

• Global Moderator
  • Cheerknowledge is new.
  • KNOWLEDGE is POWER
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 10:11:26 AM »
Coosa did have an injury and they have a couple more on top of that.  However, their routine is good.  When healthy, they will be a force.  Bremen looks good but they are not able to max on all areas which could effect them in the long run.  Those two have been neck and neck this year.  Some of the teams from the south I have heard look good also but I haven't seen anything on them.

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines