March 28, 2024, 05:47:54 PM

Ga Cheerleading Vent

Author Topic: New cheer music rules???  (Read 7370 times)

Offline cheerub

• Reputation Power: 0
  • cheerub is new.
New cheer music rules???
« on: April 26, 2016, 05:13:23 PM »
Does anyone have information regarding new rules for the use of music effective in May?? I'm wondering (hoping) that these changes apply only to all-stars and not to schools.....any word???

Offline cheerzilla

• cheerzilla is new.
Re: New cheer music rules???
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 01:15:17 PM »
The rule change will apply to GHSA cheerleading also.  No one will be allowed to alter any original music in any way. It sounds like everyone will mainly be forced to use covers of songs. There is a description posted here about the legality of everything.  http://usacheer.net/presssafety/music

Should make for a very interesting year in cheer and dance!

Offline cheerub

• cheerub is new.
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 09:34:45 AM »
When I've asked three different professionals in the industry, I get three different answers. One told me that covers were not allowed, but if I had someone to sing the song I wanted, that would be okay. Or, their team (the company's group who does the voice overs, etc...) could sing the song. THAT is a cover. I asked another company and was told that no one could sing the song, but that they could do a custom mix with raps and voice overs. When I asked GHSA for clarification, the response was that no one would be monitoring the music but that schools had always been held responsible for music and copyright laws. It seems that no one has the same information. Suppose a school uses a recording  of a song (or has someone actually sing a desired song to a karaoke track)- does that not constitute as a cover? Is that not allowed? I know the use of themes and songs that worked within that theme have been the practice of many GHSA teams. When attending allstar comps, I noticed that the music was more voice overs than actual songs. Is this what we will see from GHSA teams? Many schools do not have the money to spend on such customized music, as pricing from music production companies has now increased, as well. I understand the need to compensate artists for the use of their work; if a song is purchased from iTunes for example, does that not provide the compensation needed???

Offline CheerSound

• CheerSound is new.
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 10:32:43 AM »
I am not familiar with any rules change by GHSA, but the articles below can provide some insight to performacne rights/royalties and how they work. Typically, in a small setting such as a local cheer competition, you should not have an issue, but I am sure GHSA is required to administer these laws for your and their protection. This may or may not specifically answer your question, as it seems there is a lot of "grey" area around this rule, but hopefully it is somewhat helpful.

https://www2.danceusa.org/page.cfm?pageID=170

http://www.ascap.com/licensing/licensingfaq.aspx#general

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines