May 02, 2024, 08:49:14 AM

Ga Cheerleading Vent

Poll

Based on the routines, do you feel the correct team won?

Yes
5 (20%)
No
20 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: November 20, 2014, 04:38:36 PM

Author Topic: Saturday - STATE CHAMPIONSHIP - AAA  (Read 67213 times)

Offline cheerga94

• Reputation Power: 1
  • cheerga94 is new.
Re: Saturday - STATE CHAMPIONSHIP - AAA
« Reply #90 on: November 17, 2014, 10:33:07 PM »
Does anyone know if their has ever been any discussion regarding bringing in neutral judges for state championships? Maybe from out of state? This would definitely alleviate the potential bias from any judge from south, middle, northern Georgia? I have heard there are 3 judges all from Ware County who quite often judge competitions around southern Georgia. Even one's in Ware County. A little disturbing I would think. These don't even compare with state but,my point being neutral judges out of state would DEFINITELY carry less potential for bias. Just a thought.

THIS. i feel like every judge would have SOME sort of tie to a school. Also a big shocker to see my old coach judging it.

Offline CheerTime101

• Reputation Power: 0
  • CheerTime101 is new.
« Reply #91 on: November 17, 2014, 11:04:09 PM »
Great job on the break down of both teams.  Only issue I see --- judges get a one shot deal --- no replay, no double checking how many did what -- no second guessing  -- score as they see it  -- energy of the routine can't be measure on a video either.  Both schools are blessed with a wonderful fan base, awesome athletes, good coaches, and a drive to win.  Thank goodness everyone was healthy and no injuries occurred.  AAA will be very interesting next year.....and don't leave out SE Bulloch, Cedartown, Pepperell, Rockmart, and  Central Carrollton.... those girls want to win too. 

Awesome job both teams.  Have a great off season.....some may still be cheering football or even basketball -- be safe!

Offline Cheerknowledge

• Global Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Cheerknowledge is new.
  • KNOWLEDGE is POWER
« Reply #92 on: November 17, 2014, 11:08:36 PM »
Great point!

You can't which is why they always say it's possible for human error to occur.  The only thing I disagree on is that you are hired to get judging correct, not wrong.  Not much difference in execution on routine between the two (you can tell that first glance).  Which means if it really came down to it.  DOD should have been the upper advantage.  What this tells you is that judges are going off of "the warm and fuzzies" of a routine rather than truly judging.  Getting carried away rather than being subjective as they should be.

I think you state it great about the other teams etc. and what they have as a fan base.

I may just want to defend myself though.  I only watched Calhouns video twice and Pierces video twice.  All issues were picked up on the first go around. 
-This post is purely the opinion of Cheerknowledge and that of no one else and is not by any means influenced by any one person, team, or location.

Offline CheerTime101

• CheerTime101 is new.
« Reply #93 on: November 17, 2014, 11:12:52 PM »
No problem with your breakdowns....seemed to be pretty accurate as a whole....glad I am not a judge and just a spectator that loves the sport!

Offline Cheerknowledge

• Global Moderator
  • Cheerknowledge is new.
  • KNOWLEDGE is POWER
« Reply #94 on: November 17, 2014, 11:13:52 PM »
No problem with your breakdowns....seemed to be pretty accurate as a whole....glad I am not a judge and just a spectator that loves the sport!

You gotta point there.  With the way everything stands right now...their work is pretty tarnished.  wouldn't want to do that either.
-This post is purely the opinion of Cheerknowledge and that of no one else and is not by any means influenced by any one person, team, or location.

Offline OnThisDayIseeClearly

• Reputation Power: 2
  • OnThisDayIseeClearly is new.
« Reply #95 on: November 18, 2014, 02:03:42 AM »
It won't happen due to the rights GHSA has over their own sports.  It takes an act of congress to compete outside the state much less have other people come in and judge just doesn't look right on paper to GHSA.  They entrust the person in charge of cheerleading to train and have competent judges.  That is part of their duty.  Many of the states that surround us go to state level competitions that are hosted by cheerleading companies.  Not invitationals, then region, then state.  Many will compete at a "UCA or NCA" regional tournament then compete at a State "UCA or NCA" event.  From there, it is nationals.  Alabama, Florida, and Tennessee all do this.  Other companies also have state events. 

I just don't see it happening with outside judges.  It would mean the system is broke.  Everything relies on the backbone of the officials and the governing body of the sport.

But isn't the system broke, or at least near disrepair?  I saw your post in another division (either 6A or Co-Ed where there seemed to be controversy over the judging.)  There's this controversy.  Look at AA.  One year, Pepprell finished third dropping two stunts and having their pyramid fall part.  Screven County finished fifth with a deduction for something their fans claim hasn't been called all year.

Armuchee won state with three stunt groups and not being able to keep all of them up.  It seems like there is a problem with some sort of bias.  That too many judges are coming from areas who are familiar with certain schools (primarily North GA schools) and are judging them differently.  I say that because you could look at past years and see some of the same comments.

You are correct the GHSA wouldn't consider using outside judges.  Because the powers that be within that organization have a certain arrogance about them and do not wish to admit mistakes. 

Offline Cheerymom

• Cheerymom is new.
« Reply #96 on: November 18, 2014, 07:50:36 AM »
It is pretty terrible imo that the team who clearly should have won were given second place. What does that tell the girls? Why try? Why give it all you got? If your not gonna be judges fairly what's the point? Wonder how it would be handled it it were a football/baseball game called wrong on the state championship level???

Offline Cheerknowledge

• Global Moderator
  • Cheerknowledge is new.
  • KNOWLEDGE is POWER
« Reply #97 on: November 18, 2014, 08:12:00 AM »
It definitely is a very tough situation and one that GHSA is looking closely at.  Coaches, athletes, and parent supporters are quickly losing their faith in the system and when it is broken, people will pack up and decide to leave.  Now, I don't think it's too far gone.  I think a couple of easy fixes can adjust the situation as a whole and really put the whole thing back on track.  I don't think it is necessarily bias.  I personally believe judges are judging off of emotion.  They are either getting too sucked in to a routine and forget they need to be looking for execution.  The music moves them and they give 7's instead of 6's and 5's.  Not sure if that makes sense.  But that is one part of the problem.  But the faith is losing.

Offline Cheerknowledge

• Global Moderator
  • Cheerknowledge is new.
  • KNOWLEDGE is POWER
« Reply #98 on: November 18, 2014, 08:12:47 AM »
OnThisDayISeeClearly - The system is hurting, not broke and not un-repairable.  But they have a big problem.

Offline Cheerymom

• Cheerymom is new.
« Reply #99 on: November 18, 2014, 08:24:03 AM »
The Faith is for sure diminishing. Especially after seeing this first hand. I wish there was something that could be done to at least admit there was a mistake. That would probably help those 16 girls tremendously. I wouldn't want to take away from Calhoun because that only hurts 16 more girls but, the winners should at least be recognized and apologized to. Again my opinion.

Offline Cheermom

• Cheermom is new.
« Reply #100 on: November 18, 2014, 08:39:40 AM »
They have attempted to do something with the coed division and admitted the mistake.  Macintosh is now first, Chestatee second, and Winder Barrow third.  Now what does all that mean?  I don't think anything will change as far as the official ruling and Winder Barrow keeping their trophy and getting state rings.  However GHSA did officially admit to the DOD scoring error and rearranged the order for coed.  It's a little too little too late but the point here is that we on this "vent" were all correct in most of these divisions in saying we thought that the judging was off this State.  I think there will surely be some changes for next year which doesn't do anything for this go around but at least they are admitting it and that is something.

Offline Cheerknowledge

• Global Moderator
  • Cheerknowledge is new.
  • KNOWLEDGE is POWER
« Reply #101 on: November 18, 2014, 08:40:25 AM »
If they do it in this division, they have to do it in others.  CoEd, Possibly AAAA (illegal pyramid is the rumor), AAA, who knows where else.

Offline cheerbear

• cheerbear is new.
« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2014, 08:41:10 AM »
I'm the Pierce mom and what saddens me the most is seeing my child and her teammates crying their eyes out because they knew they got the job done and should have won! They were in the stands when Calhoun went on, and we're positive they had it after we finished! We know GHSA will more than likely never admit the mistake, but an apology should be given! Obviously EVERY ONE knows the way it should have gone, but it's sad that judge #1 made the huge mistake that cost the deserving team the title!

dawclean

« Reply #103 on: November 18, 2014, 09:03:16 AM »
So, if I'm reading this correctly, the GHSA  has changed the outcome of the CoEd division due to supposed judging error ?  What happen to all results are final?  Should Pierce contest the results as well? Is it fair for one division and not another?

Offline Cheerknowledge

• Global Moderator
  • Cheerknowledge is new.
  • KNOWLEDGE is POWER
« Reply #104 on: November 18, 2014, 09:13:43 AM »
So, if I'm reading this correctly, the GHSA  has changed the outcome of the CoEd division due to supposed judging error ?  What happen to all results are final?  Should Pierce contest the results as well? Is it fair for one division and not another?

It was a conversation, no results were changed.  They noted an error and apparently apologized.  Outside of that they were never told "You are the new state champions." an error was recognized simply put.

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines